Process to become CMS Designated Test EHR
As part of meaningful use Stage 2’s transition of care objective, measure #3 [PDF - 231 KB] requires eligible professionals (EPs) and eligible hospitals/critical access hospitals (CAHs) to either:
- Conduct one or more successful electronic exchanges of a summary of care document, with a recipient who has EHR technology designed by a different EHR technology developer than the sender's.
- Conduct one or more successful tests with the CMS designated test EHR during the EHR reporting period
CMS seeks to designate multiple “test EHRs” for EPs, eligible hospitals and CAHs to use if they elect to pursue the second approach to meet measure #3 of Stage 2’s transitions of care objective.
Designated test EHRs will be registered on a software system, “EHR Randomizer”, hosted by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). The NIST-hosted software system will randomly match an EP, eligible hospital, or CAH with a designated test EHR that is designed by a different EHR technology developer than theirs.
Based on the results of the Test EHR Pilot program, CMS and ONC have finalized the technical capabilities that need to be in place in order to be designated Test EHR and the test process to be followed by providers.
CMS and ONC launched the program on Jan 14, 2014 with designated Test EHRs that met the criteria and indicated interest in participating in the program.
To find out more about becoming a CMS designated test EHR, please read the “EHR Technology Developers” section of the FAQs on becoming CMS designated test EHR.
Designed Test EHRs
Test EHR Registration Tool
- EHR Randomizer Test Tool
- User Guide: Download Word Version [DOC - 608 KB] Download PDF version [PDF - 671 KB]
- User Support for the Test EHR Registration Tool
- Test Instructions for Cross Vendor Exchange Download Word Version [DOC - 378 KB] Download PDF version [PDF - 500 KB]
- Developer Participant Information for Cross Vendor Exchange: Download Word Version [DOC - 100 KB] Download PDF version [PDF - 373 KB]
- Provider help guide for Using NIST EHR Randomizer Tool: Download Word Version [DOC - 209 KB] Download PDF version [PDF - 275 KB]